Say hello to our last Veganuary recipe! Todays we will be learning how to make a vegan Alfredo. This dish is super easy to make and is oh-so delicious. It will become a firm favourite in your household for sure! This alfredo recipe makes use of minimum ingredients that can all be found in our 100% vegan market.
½ onion minced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp salt
¼ cup + 4 tbsp olive oil mix
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups soya milk
2 cups vegetable stock
1 block cheese grated violife parmesan cheese (or alternative vegan parmesan)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cups mushrooms
Half a pack vegan bacon cut into small pieces.
Half a pack of pasta of your choosing
• Heat a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Add your pasta to the pot and cook until al dente. When the pasta is done, drain the water and keep the pasta in this pot. Toss in a bit of olive oil to keep pasta from sticking together.
• Heat a pan over medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil, add the chopped onion and 1 tsp salt and sweat the onions until they turn translucent. Add in the garlic and continue cooking until the onion and garlic are golden. Turn the heat off and keep this mixture to one side.
• In a medium to large pot heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes and add the flour. Whisk continuously until golden. Add the soy milk and whisk until combined. Continue whisking and cooking until this mix is thick and almost stretchy. Add vegetable stock, nutritional yeast, 1 tsp salt and ¾ of the grated cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted. Don’t worry if the mix is a bit lumpy.
• Add the above mixture and the onion mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more salt if needed.
• In another medium pan, heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Add the mushrooms to this and sauté until slightly brown, add the vegan bacon pieces and continue cooking until these crisp.
• In a medium to large pan, add desired amount of sauce and heat, add pasta, mushrooms and bacon until well combined. • Serve immediately and top with extra grated cheese.