By Kaylee Gottschalk
Winter is coming…
I think we can all use a little comfort right now so I would love to share with you my super simple nutritious immune boosting soup. I learnt a pretty cool technique to make your soups creamy yet healthy, just add some potato instead of extra butter/cream.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 500g carrots (roughly chopped)
- 500g butternut (roughly chopped) – Be sure to cut butternut and carrots around the same size
- 1 medium potato diced
- 6-8 cups homemade or store-bought vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp grated ginger
- In a large soup pot, heat oil.
- Add onion and salt. Sweat the onion until soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and butternut to the pot, cover, and cook for about 10 mins until slightly softened. Stirring frequently.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer with the lid off. Cook the veggies until very soft, around 30 minutes.
- Add fresh ginger and puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a regular blender.
- Add more stock if you want to achieve your desired consistency.
- Return soup to pot and season with lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Add carrot chips for extra crunch and a bit of coconut milk or olive oil.