Fig season in South Africa is a special time for me. It means I get to explore and enjoy the incredibly complex flavours figs have to offer. Their versatility makes them one of my got to fruits, whether I’m doing a sweet or savoury dish I alway try to work them in.
My personal favourite recipe involving figs has to be a Fig Crostini. I am a big fan of dishes that can fit multiple situations. From canapes, when entertaining guests, to a light meal that bursts with freshness this recipe is one for the books. Let’s get into recipe and help you impress your friends and taste buds.
- 6-8 ripe figs
- 1 medium baguette
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Macadamia nut ricotta (See macadamia nut ricotta ingredients)
Macadamia nut ricotta Ingredients:
- 250g Macadamia nuts raw, then soaked for a few hours
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon and zest
- 1Tbsp olive oil
Macadamia nut ricotta Method:
- In a food processor, blend the macadamia nuts, water, and salt together until a slightly chunky but smooth consistency is reached.
- Then add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, zest and olive oil.
- Pulse a few more times to combine all the ingredients.
- Transfer the ricotta to an air-tight container and store in the fridge.
Let’s make the crostini!
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Thinly slice the baguette into equal sizes.
- Clean the figs by rinsing them in water.
- Once clean, cut the figs in half. Make sure to chop the stems off.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss the figs with some balsamic vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Once tossed, allow the figs to marinate for a number one minutes in the fridge.
- Take your sliced baguette and place the slices onto a baking pan.
- Brush the baguette pieces with some olive oil.
- Place the baking pan with you baguette slices into the preheated oven.
- Toast the slices for 5-10 minutes until golden.
- Remove the slices onto a plate and pepper to assemble all your ingredients.
- Spread the macadamia nut ricotta onto your toasted baguette, then add some marinated figs and drizzle with balsamic reduction or vegan honey.
I can’t wait for you all to give this recipe a try, let us know what you think. Take a photo and tag us on our social platforms. Enjoy!
Tags Best Vegan Restaurant Delicious vegan foods that are easy to make easy to make delicious vegan foods Fig Bruschetta recipe Great vegan starters Kaylees eatery recipes Kaylees market vegan food near me Vegan recipes for entertaining